This is like that


The word LIKE.

Should writers use it? Shouldn't writers use it?
Well, this is something I would like to address. 

I attended an incredible and inspiring talk by Cath Cassidy years ago and she said: No! She doesn't like the work LIKE in books to draw parallels between things. She doesn't want to know what something is like, she just wants to get on with the book. (or words to that effect)

Fair enough thought I, young writer out to learn all I can about the industry and willing to try most things, so I began to avoid using the word LIKE to make comparisons. 

All well and good...or was it?

Then! Oh yes, then... I discovered Jonathan Stroud's show stoppingly brilliant 'Lockwood and Co' series and my mind was blown by all the wonderful LIKE's that generated the most amazing imagery in my head. 

So, maybe it is ok to us the word LIKE? 

Then, something dawned on me...maybe...just maybe: There are no set rules in this writing game! 

Revelation! All wonderful things followed this realisation.

I hope that this little blog post will set you free.

On a podcast recently I heard a quote that summed it up beautifully:

"There are no rules, the only solid rule [in writing] is: Follow the submission guidelines."
AMIE KAUFMAN&MEAGAN SPOONER (on 88 cups of tea podcast)

Go be free with your writing.

Until next week,

Yours, 

Inkyscribe x

p.s. If you are interested in how I have chosen to use my own LIKE's, here is my none-rule: 
Do it sparingly, but if you do it, do it well

...but if I want to ignore this, you know I will πŸ˜‰ 


Comments