Character (Attitude Towards Death)


Hello there lovely writer folk!

I've got a characterisation tip for you this week and the picture by the incredibly talented Gris Grimly sums it up perfectly. 

I once set out in search of the perfect character sheet to fill in and learn all about my characters. I found hundreds and lost days of my life 'researching' the best... (That sneaky Procrastination wears many masks.) 

I didn't find the perfect sheet, but I did find the perfect question:

ATTITUDE TOWARDS DEATH?

Sometimes it can take a while to work out the answer for some, but when I do, I feel like I really know that character.

Here are some examples from a 'magical world' book I have been trying to write for some time:

Felix - 'Well, it feed's the worms, doesn't it?'

Ida- Is not sure if she can die, but has been careful just in case.

Obediah - Would like to have a word with him about some of his more questionable decisions.

Mordecai - Loves it... as long as it is happening to someone else.

See?

Try asking it of some of your characters and I hope it helps to demystify them in your mind. 

It would be lovely to hear if you have any really interesting results.

Until next Thursday, 

Yours, 

The Inkyscribe x

Comments