I am a Writer



This week I am having a bit of a blip on the confidence scale. I am still turning up to my writing desk, putting in the time, but feel like everything that comes out is just a bit poo...

So this week for the bite-sized blog I thought I would do a confidence booster.

One of the most simple and effective pieces of advice I've ever heard for aspiring writers came from the wonderful Joanne Harris on the Bestseller Experiment Podcast.

It has given me the confidence to do so much with my writing (and this blog). 

Here it is:

“Joanne Harris’s top tip for aspiring writers:

Ditch the word “aspiring”. It’s bullshit. Just write. Don’t worry too much about being a writer, or the quality of what you write, just do the best you can and be honest, and forget about the idea that writers are special people. If you write, then you are a writer.”
(Excerpt From: Mark Stay & Mark Desvaux. “The_Bestseller_Experiment-Writers'_Vault_of_Gold.” iBooks. https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=31F0C463FA19212DE02302A6E38F3F86)

I couldn't decide which picture of Joanne Harris to put, I love them both...
(I especially love her t-shirt in the bottom one, reminded me of a time in my youth when I decided I would only read banned books...until I was traumatised by Last Exit to Brooklyn and stopped)

I know I have been having a confidence wibble because my husband had to remind me to drop the 'aspiring' when I was talking about my writing yesterday.

Do it, drop the 'aspiring' and reap the benefits.

Until next Thursday lovely writers,

Yours, 

The Inkyscribe x

Comments