Colour mood


Happy Thursday!

This bite-sized blog is a small and sneaky tip that I got from a friend.

I have been putting my work out on submission for a long time. From 4 picture books (written and illustrated), a middle grade story, several short stories and finally I am now researching agents for a new round of submissions for my YA novel.

Along the journey I have racked up a healthy amount of rejection letters. In my haste to set up a spread sheet to monitor them, I coloured my 'submissions awaiting reply' in green and those 'rejected' in red. 

I showed the list to a friend and told her how rubbish it made me feel every time I opened the excel file. My friend, in all her wonderful wisdom pointed out that I had chosen the WORST colours for my spreadsheet.

Red was so harsh!

RED = REJECTED!

Erk!

Being turned down by an agent is not REJECTED, but them saying 'this project is not for me at this time'.

So a few clicks of the mouse and I changed my rejected to soft purple and my awaiting reply are now soft turquoise. YAY!

I now feel much better about looking at the list as I am adding names to the newly submitted section!

If you get a mo, look how changing colour schemes might help you.

Until next Thursday,

Yours, 

The Inkyscribe x

p.s. I use the same tip for the word count bar on Scrivener.

Comments