Learning from distraction


This blog is all about learning from life's little distractions.

Distraction: 
One of my besties is getting married in three weeks time.

She told me yesterday that she wants a giant wooden cloud that represents her and her partner to decorate the hall they are getting married in. 

THREE WEEKS NOTICE!

So, my blogging time this week was spent sketching up a rough for this cloud. 

But...I did learn something as I worked.

Lesson from distration:
Drawing the design, I had to get the broad lines down, map the picture out, keep putting down lines until one felt nearly right. Then when I had a mess of pencil scribbles, I went in Sharpie stylee and picked out my favorites. 

I have loaded the picture up large so you can see all the pencil marks, pieces of paper blue tacked over mistakes and the gaffa tape holding the piece together because my paper wasn't big enough. But even with all of that in the background, the black and white is all that the eye really focuses one. 

IT'S THE SAME WITH WRITING! 

All of it!

No one notices the mistakes made in the planning... I realised I just need to keep sketching out my story ideas and plots until something feels right, then put it down in solid black and white.

Also: I need to try not to stress about showing work in progress's. 

I was a little nervous posting this, it's no where near finished, it will change again going onto the wood and again in the painting. But on showing it I am also seeing it through more critical eyes.

(I hope it was worth it to illustrate my small point in this small blog post.) 

Until next week dear writer friends, when I hope to have my blogging time back.

Yours, 

The Inkyscribe x


Comments